Go Kong for the Holidays
Since the holiday season seems to be full of cooking, stuffing, and wrapping activities and leaves little attention for Fido, we figured why not continue mixing and stuffing and give Fido a little extra love (and something to do while you’re busy with family): stuff a Kong! In case you haven’t already discovered these durable, fill-able, affordable, dishwasher safe and completely awesome little rubber toys, you can find them at just about any pet retailer and they come sized and shaped to match your mutt’s chewing needs. Here are some holiday stuffing recipes that will keep Fluffy occupied for hours…
Turkey Dinner – for beginning to intermediate chewers
- 2 parts Fromm’s Grain-Free Beef Frittata Veg (dry)
- 1 part Nature’s Variety Homestyle turkey and duck stew (canned).
- 1-3 pieces of Fruitables pumpkin and cranberry treat.
- Mix the dry and canned dog food to form a tasty chunky paste.
- Place 1-3 pumpkin and cranberry dog treats at the bottom of the Kong. Fill the remainder of the Kong with the wet/dry dog food mash. Feed at room temperature or freeze for advanced chewers.
Aunt Jeannie’s Archaeology Kong – for advanced chewers
- LAYER ONE (deepest): roasted, unsalted cashews · freeze dried liver bits
- LAYER TWO: dog kibble, cookies or liver biscotti · Cheerios · sugar-free, salt-free peanut butter · dried banana chips, apples and apricots
- LAYER THREE: carrot sticks · turkey or leftover ravioli or tortellini
- LIGHT VERSION: substitute crumbled rice cakes for cashews, Caesar croutons for freeze-dried liver, fat free cream cheese for peanut butter
Mix and match or substitute! Just remember to supervise your dog with new chew toys and feed multiple dogs separately to avoid conflicts due to Kong envy.